Moving plant goods interstate

To move commercial consignments of plants, fruit or vegetables interstate, they need to be certified as free of pests, diseases and weeds. Depending on the product, you may need to get a Plant Health Certificate or Plant Health Assurance Certificate.

To obtain these certificates, you can either:

  1. get a government inspector to certify that your goods meet quarantine conditions; or
  2. obtain accreditation for your business under the Interstate Certification Assurance (ICA) Scheme.

A government inspector can certify your goods on a case-by-case basis, but this can quickly become an expensive and time consuming process. For producers who frequently move goods interstate or between quarantine zones, applying for your business to be accredited could be a better option in terms of time, flexibility and money.

The Interstate Certification Assurance (ICA) Scheme is a national scheme administered by all states and territories. The scheme enables a business to be accredited by a state or territory plant quarantine authority to issue plant health assurance certificates for its produce.

Once a business is accredited, it assumes responsibility for specified treatments, inspections or other processes, and can issue Plant Health Assurance Certificates for its own produce.

Quarantine authorities carry out audits on a business to ensure it continues to meet its obligations and for it to maintain accreditation.

Treatments can include dipping, spraying, heat or cold treatment and inspections. Each type of produce may require a number of these procedures, depending on their origin and destination.

Quarantine requirements may change as new pests, diseases and weeds are detected, so make sure you stay up-to-date by contacting your local ICA supervisor at the time of consignment. You can also sign up to receive a notice when an ICA is updated or a new one becomes available.

Find an ICA

You’ll find the ICAs listed by state or territory in the menu links on the left.

Or you can search for an ICA by number, state or topic.

No ICA for your produce?

If an ICA does not exist for your produce, you will need to check the entry conditions for the state or territory where you would like to send your produce, and the regulators in the state or territory where the produce is grown, to get a Plant Health Certificate.

More information and quarantine regulator contact details

ICA questions & answers

Schedule of National ICA Documents (as of 12 September 2017) pdf | Word

Supported by

feature sponsor

Subscribe to travel alerts